What is the Issue?
Due to a complication with iOS, Safari, and HDR settings, some videos can appear overexposed when uploaded into Ripl.
If you choose to upload an HDR Video on the iOS app, you will see a dialog stating "This video was created with an HDR setting which may cause it to display incorrectly in Ripl."
NOTE: This video will appear correct once it plays. This issue just effects the thumbnail of the final video. We expect that only the thumbnails in your Posts, your Drafts, and possibly the thumbnail on social media will be affected.
How can I fix it?
Use iMovie to convert the video
Rather than reshoot the video with HDR turned off, you can use iMovie to convert the video to ‘standard dynamic range’ (a new copy of the video that won’t have the problem). Your iPhone likely already has iMovie installed, if not it is available from Apple through the app store for free.
- Launch iMovie on your iPhone
- Tap “Movie” under “Start New Project”
- Select the video you want to use, then tap ‘Create Movie’ at the bottom
- If the video is vertical, you have some extra steps:
- Double tap the timeline - you should see a yellow border after doing so
- To the right of the video, tap the magnifying glass: it should show a tooltip that reads, “Pinch to zoom”
- Pinch the video to zoom out until the entire video is in view
- Tap “Done” in the top left corner (you can trim the video here as well)
- Tap the Share icon at the bottom of the screen
- Tap “Options” (it’s a small blue link in the middle of the screen)
- Turn HDR off with the slider at the bottom of the Options screen
- Tap “Done” at the top right
- Tap “Save Video” in the lower list of options
A copy of the video will be saved to your Photo Library. Use this converted file for your Ripl. If the video is vertical, continue with the “cropping a vertical video” instructions.
Cropping a vertical video
If your video is vertical (taller than wider) you have some extra steps.
- Open “Photos”
- Tap the exported video to select it
- Tap “Edit” in the top right corner of the preview screen
- Tab the Crop tool along the bottom
- Crop the video to remove the black bars on the side
- Tap done
Your video is ready to use in Ripl
Disable HDR and shoot the video again
To turn off HDR recording, go to Settings > Camera > Record Video, then turn off HDR Video.